BioStrate® for microgreen, salad green and wheatgrass production
This lightweight, biobased textile absorbs and retains water while providing an inert environment for healthy root development. BioStrate® 185gsm is compostable* (see bottom of page for details) and won’t clog filters. BioStrate maintains its structure throughout its life.
Custom widths are available for your specific needs. If you would like to discuss your specific crop needs, feel free to call us today.
Directions for use:
- Moisten BioStrate® Felt with mist or a quick dip in a water bath. Let excess water drain.
- Sprinkle seeds to the desired density, then mist. BioStrate can support tightly packed seedlings.
- Place in germinating area for 48 hours or as needed.
- BioStrate performs best when not overwatered. The amount of water will vary depending on the system used. The felt should be kept moist, not saturated. Water level should not be higher than the top of the medium. If water pools on the felt, reduce flow.
Benefits for Plants:
- Holds the optimal amount of water
- Roots are stabilized
- pH balanced
Benefits for Growers:
- Compostable* (185gsm ONLY)
- Ready to plant, no pretreatment required
- Custom widths available
- Easy to use
Quick Plug North America has created two thicknesses of BioStrate®. Our thinner version, 185 gsm, is most commonly used for microgreens. Our thicker version, 300 gsm, was created for growers who prefer a thicker mat and for the production of leafy greens.
Purchase BioStrate® Felt:
Wholesale and Retail Distribution in the United States
Wholesale case quantities and home grower packs can be purchased from national distributors and retailers.
BioStrate® is manufactured in the Unites States in the State of Maine. The technology for its design was developed in-house with the support of USDA funding. BioStrate® FeltTM is 3rd-party tested and internationally certified for biobased content. BioStrate® 185gsm is certified compostable in an industrial setting in both the U.S. and Europe.
Click to view BioStrate’s Din Certco (European) certifications.
- CA 2736093
- US 8671616
- EP 2326162
*This product meets ASTM D6400 and is intended to be composted in a commercial composting facility operated in accordance with best management practices. These do not exist in many communities. Visit www.findacomposter.com to see if such a facility exists in your community. Not suitable for backyard composting.